One of the beautiful monasteries and the most important pilgrimage sites of the island of Corfu is a simple, no frills, a small monastery of the Theotokos Kassopitras (Panagia tis Kassopitras). This almost 500 – year old monastery built among lush vegetation in the town of Figareto Canon. In 1530, on May 8, the Holy Mother of God restored the vision to Stefan, who was unjustly blinded by the decision of the local court. This wonderful event happened in the famous temple in Her honor, located in the north - eastern part of the island, in the place of Kassiopi, to which the young man and his mother resorted in search of help. This is an incredible miracle gave rise to the creation and initiation of the miraculous Lady Theotokos Kassopitras many temples on the island, in the neighboring mainland city of Arta, and even more that, in the town of Himare that in northern Epirus.
Official historical information about the monastery appears in 1706, and since 1754 this church property passes to the priest and notary Ioanni Kosmon or Kuzma Filion, an aristocrat whose family name is included in the "Golden Book", a book with the names of noble Venetian surnames. His heir, Anastasius Filios, sells the temple in 1820 to Hieromonk Nicholas Patrikion, the son of Spyridon, from the island of Kefalonia. His half-brother Ilya, later his heir, in 1850, passes this temple to the pious hieromonk Gennady (in the world of George), by the name of Vasiliu, the son of Athanasius, a native of the village of Kalarriton, on Epirus. Free use of the temple and its possessions goes to his perpetual tenancy, for which he must pay 20 Venetian thalers per year, the God-bearing elder Gennady dreams of creating on that place a female holy monastery. In 1856, he received the temple in his full ownership, paying the heir of Ilya Patrikia a sum of money of 400 talers. After that, he builds two-story community building for living the monastic brotherhood, a run-out convent fence possession, restoring the holy temple, brings him a gift of silver icons, icon lamp and gold-plated casket with the relics of the holy martyrs, and establish a women's monastic community. In 1859, he departed to the Lord at the age of 54 years. The heir of Gennady through shareholders passed the church and its values in the possession of Maria Mavroyanni, whose care and participation the monastery was organized. At the end of the XIX century the monastery is developing more and more.
During the Nazi occupation, Metropolitan Alexander attached the Abode as a temporary monastery metochion to the nearest prosperous monastery of the Holy Theodores in Stratja. Through this patronage Abode extend its existence for more than 50 years. Over the years, it remains a virtuous nun Thekla Ambel. In 1991, Metropolitan Timofei officially recognized the status of self-government of the Holy Abode of Kassopitras by an official church act and transformed it into a monastery. With the blessing of today's Metropolitan Nektariy (Dov), Archimandrite Polikarp Zervos, abbot of the monastery, has been abbot before the monastic brethren. With the blessing of the Archpastor of the island, as a result of the cooperation of the Igumen council and with the support of the inhabitants of Corfu and other pilgrims, the new hegumen takes care of the work to strengthen, maintain and restore the entire monastery.
In this holy shelter of the beautiful island of Corfu, we are given the opportunity to worship the miraculous icon of the Mother of God Kassopitra, as well as other icons and the great multitude of holy relics stored there. In addition, the cell and the grave of the Reverend Elder Gennady have been preserved in the monastery. Of particular importance is the holy icon of the Last Supper of the work of Philotheus Scufos, created in 1665. The ethnographic museum has no less significance. The monastery celebrates its patronal feast three times: on May 8, the day of remembrance of the miracle of the Virgin, on November 21, the day of the introduction of the Most Holy Theotokos into the temple and on February 7, the feast day of St. Parfenius of Lampsoki.